Monday, January 21, 2013

Mornings

Mornings are a special time for me here. My wife will tell you that I have the habit of waking up several hours before there is a need to actually do so. Sometimes that is a blessing, sometimes that is a curse. Here it is a blessing.

I actually woke up this morning at about 3:00am and immediately started thinking about my presentation of the evangicube and the gospel story and how I could make it more effective for the people we are trying to reach. I looked at the clock and thought "Oh geeze, Bob. Get a little more sleep. Our morning gathering isn't until 7:00." Then I proceeded to roll around in bed, my mind hard at work while my body tried to rest. Finally, at 4:45, I gave up. I crept around the room and tried not to wake Jay as I took my shower and made a cup of coffee. I then headed to the rooftop where I'm typing this.

Trash fires provide warmth for rickshaw drivers and curs.

It's still dark and there is just the slightest of lightening at the horizon from the approaching sun. Still, vendors are busy setting up their stalls and rickshaw drivers are gathering together, waiting for their first fares of the day. Many of them have collected trash from the streets and started small, smokey fires and gather around for the warmth. The traffic is still light and has not yet chased off the curs and they too cling close to the fires, looking for any scrap that the dim light may reveal.

Everyone is sweeping the patch of dirt that defines their space on the side of the road. They toss water from a bucket to try and settle the dust. A quick look at the trees surrounding the streets reveals a thin layer of dust that coats everything within minutes of the traffic beginning to roar down the street. It is definitely the dry season in Assam and I wonder what the city looks like when it is green and not the dull brown of dust.

A haze of smoke and humidity covers the city.

Right now there is just the faintest of pink glow in the sky to the east. Soon a haze will settle above the city, much the same as it does in cities like Houston or New Orleans. This haze is a mix of moisture in the air and all of the small cooking fires that are busy warming up chai and dhal for the morning meal.

As for me, my mind is still working on the gospel presentation that rattled my sleep just hours ago. I've finished the last cup of bad instant coffee that is in our room and will now switch to hot, sweet tea as I wait what seems like an eternity for this post to load to the web. I'll again use my "hunt-n-peck" method of bible reading this morning to see what it holds for me and then head to morning devotions and breakfast with the rest of the team. Just as men are gathering on the street, waiting for their bus to their work, we'll gather and see what work God has for us today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment