Thursday, January 29, 2015

Travel

It's the biggest drawback to doing these trips. No matter where you go, there is a wait. Waiting in line for your ticket, waiting in line at security, waiting for the next plane. Waiting for that plane to actually take off. A plane taking off, by the way, is still a miracle to me. Even after my four years in the USAF and working on the B1 bomber, I'm still amazed everytime a tube of metal filled with fuel and people leaves the grasp of earth's gravity and propels us skyward. No matter how many times I see a demonstration of how an airfoil works, I still can't believe it's true.

Yep. Pretty sure that's how it went. It's 2015, folks. I want my teleportation devices and my flying cars.Matt, Jeff, and I headed to Denver in the morning, spirits high and ready to go. A short hop to Chicago, and we met up with Dan and a couple others. After almost 15 hours on a plane, we meet the rest of the team in Dubai. Now we wait for one last hop to get to Delhi and a much needed night in an actual bed. Not to whine too much, but getting comfortable on a plane with a 6'4" frame. Don't get me wrong, Emarites is THE best airline for comfort and service. Still, whoever designed the airline seat needs shot. At close range. I think the idea behind it went something like this: "Let's make the seats just firm enough to cause thrombosis and let's make the back tilt back just enough to annoy the person behind you, but not far enough that the person in the seat can actually lean their head back and rest."

More later.........Anyway, then we land in Delhi, wait an interminable long time for a taxi. Three of them, actually, because there seems to be a lot more luggage than a crew our size should need. A fun time riding with Jeff and his first experience with Indian roadways, and then we end at our home for the next two nights. A row of hotels that look like they're in an alley.

I'd love to post a picture or two, but it seems the internet just isn't up to it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment