Thursday, January 8, 2015

Redirected

On December 23rd Bodo seperatists attacked two Adavasi villages in norther Assam. In the attacks and the police actions that followed, 78 people lost their lives and dozens more were injured. This type of violence and the dispute behind it go back over 40 years. In short, the Bodo want to create their own state north of the Brahmaputra river.

I'm a fairly nerdy guy when it comes to India and I read the Times Of India at least four or five times a week so I was aware of these incidents. I also did some pretty deep research and they appeared to be isolated incidents, well away from the areas we go to in Assam. The BJP led federal government of India was promising a tough crackdown on the militants. It was with this in mind that I was confident we wouldn't have any problems in Assam. I also didn't mention any of this in my fundraising letters or in my last blog post as I didn't want people to worry about something that I was sure would blow over by the time we got there.

Then this last Friday we got an email from Uttam, the pastor we work with in Assam, asking us not to come. It is simply too dangerous, not only for us, but also for his team of volunteers and the churches we would be working with. Twelve Americans traveling around and working with believers would simply draw too much attention. Not only that, but a "bandh" had been called for. This is basically a work stoppage, the type of protest made famous by Gandhi. No buses, no hotels, no restaurants, no services. None of the things that a bunch of Westerners would need for a ten day visit in Assam.

Not to be discouraged, I floated the idea of the rest of the team doing something else in India and just the three of us from Ogallala going to Assam. Nope. Not going to happen. Even a lower profile visit of three Americans is just too much. Like Paul in Acts 16, we are being redirected.

It's fortunate to get the news that Assam is not going to happen this early. e3 has a great network in India and Charles Golla, the India coordinator for e3, is incredibly resourceful and works tirelessly. He had previously been training a team of local believers and volunteers in the state of Bihar and while it is earlier than they expected, we'll be joining them.

To be honest, I don't have as much of the ease of acceptance that Paul showed when his way to Asia was blocked. I'm bummed that I don't get to see the friends that I've made in Assam. From a more official standpoint, I'm disappointed that no one from Uttam's sole supporting church, New Hope, is going to be able to be on the ground in Assam. Now, if I let the more spiritual side of me take control, and I should, I realize that there are about 1.19 billion non-believers in India and not all of them are in Assam. I'm glad to still be going to India and even if it isn't in the district where I've invested a huge part of my heart, I will serve with 100% of my heart wherever God sends me. This time He is sending me to Bihar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment