Thursday, November 15, 2012

Under Attack

NOTE: I started the following post this morning, planning to publish it on Larry's return. That, along with the title of the post, changed tonight for reasons you will read about below.

I wanted to give you a little update on my friend Larry. Larry went with me to India this last February and he was a great travel companion and roommate. He suffered a bit on the last trip with some stomach problems, a nasty spider bite, and, of course, having to be my roommate.

Larry had planned on coming with us in January of 2013, but it turned out that by the time our trip got scheduled, his number one employee, the one he counts on to keep his business going when he takes trips, had scheduled a Caribbean cruise with her husband. The husband is bigger than Larry so rather than try and fight him for her, he decided to go with another group. He just got back this week.

Larry's trip turned out to be a little more exciting than most. It started out with a series of airport delays and cancelled flights due to a winter storm, all of which combined to leave him without the rest of his group wandering the Delhi airport for several hours. Adding to the excitement is that Larry didn't really know where his team would be working in India. They purposefully kept the information from him so he wouldn't let it slip and endanger the team. The particular area they were working in has been hostile to those sharing the gospel and there have been arrests, beatings, and worse in the past.

Here's where the post changes.

Yesterday I recieved a two day old report that the teams in that region of India had so far shared the gospel with about 1000 people and nearly 300 had prayed to recieve Christ as their Savior.

At about 6:45 tonight, a call was recieved from Larry. His team was under immediate threat from a terrorist group. They were in the process of evacuating their hotel and fleeing to Delhi. Please pray for Larry and his team. If they can make it to Delhi they should be relatively safe. I am praying that the words of the 3rd Psalm would come to life for the team there.

A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.

1 O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." "Selah" 3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. "Selah" 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6 I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. 7 Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. 8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. "Selah"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment