Friday, February 1, 2013

Brainlag

It's been a bit of a struggle this week. After flight delays in Minneapolis, I finally pulled into my driveway at about 2:15am on Monday morning. I was tired, having only caught maybe 5 hours sleep on airplanes in the previous 48 hours. After heartfelt greetings from Shannon (my long-suffering wife) and Dottie (my four-legged friend) I hit the sack. Unfortunately, I was only able to sleep about 3 hours. The time change of 12.5 hours is just a little too large to recuperate from immediately.

Monday morning I went into my shop and tried to put out a few fires and return a few calls. The crew did a good job while I was away and they even surprised me by giving the service counter area of the shop a much needed paint job. But, by about 11:00 I was wiped. I went home and took a long, hard nap. That night I took a sleeping aid and slept a solid eight hours.

Tuesday morning I had a date with Pastor Eric and we visited about the mission trip and strategies for the future. I serve on the missions committee at New Hope so some of the discussion concerned India, some concerned Poland (our other mission focus area), and some just concerned missions in general. I'll add that although I really like the Indian breakfast of steamed vegetables, dahl, curds, and naan, the bacon (BACON!!!!) and french toast at the sale barn was awfully danged good. Tuesday night I also got another, nice long night of sleep.

Wednesday night wasn't as cooperative. I started to feel a bit of a sore throat coming on at the beginning of the evening (thank you, airplane rides) and although I fell asleep a little after 9:00, it wasn't to last. I was up at 1:45am and unable to get back to sleep. Insomnia is one of those things I struggle with anyway, but insomnia coupled with jetlag and a sore throat just simply isn't any fun.

I spent this morning fighting with my iPad and computer to try and get a short movie I made for my church presentation off of the iPad and into a format that is playable on a the churches PC. After two hours and right at the point that I was beginning to curse Steve Jobs for ever having created the handy little tablet and that confusing torture device that goes by the name of iTunes, I got it figured out. I had to ask for Mr.Jobs' posthumous forgiveness as the solution was all right there, only partly hidden in a sub-menu of a sub-menu deep in the recesses of the iPad's online alleged "help" manual.

Anyway, not much that is really mission related in this post. I just thought I'd give a little recap of some of the things that have been adjustments to getting back to the real world. Here's the little slideshow that I struggled with this morning and will be playing in the background while I tell my congregation a bit about the trip.

 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the wall, I was a little nervous about it. And we're glad to have you back... it's not quite the same without the boss around :). Though telling people my boss is in India on a missions trip is always kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete