Tuesday, February 14, 2012

God Sightings 3: The Team

I’ve been writing about various God Sightings on this trip.  God Sightings are those times when you see God at work through circumstance, people, or events.  These things happen every day and with every one of us.  Most of us, myself included, don’t notice them nearly as often as they happen.  Sometimes we don’t notice them until years later.  These are a few of the less noticeable God Sightings that happened within the members of the team.

Carly being a good girl and writing in
her journal at Guwaharti Airport.
The first day or two were great struggles for Matt and Carly.  There was a huge culture shock, the food didn’t agree with them, and other issues.  Add to this an event on the home front that was difficult for his wife, and Matt was pretty shook up.  As luck would have it, Matt was teamed up with Mark as a roommate.  Well, I say luck.  It was actually a God thing.  Mark is an excellent counselor, a great shoulder to lean on, and a rock of a friend when you’re in need.  By the time we actually hit the mission field, Matt and Carly were unstoppable and a huge encouragement to the rest of the team.  It was clear that no matter the difficulties, God was going to use the Waitley family in India.  It was also clear that God had put Mark and Matt together as roommates because Mark was the man Matt would need during those difficult first days.

Doc endorses the french fries at the hotel. 
Matt and Carly lived off fries and the seemingly
endless supply of rice krispy treats they brought from home.
I am the team member that is most prone to health issues.  Due to a medication I’m on, I basically have no immune system.  I also have to watch my diet a bit in order to avoid cramping and ahem, other issues, to put it politely.  Now whether this is a God thing or simply luck of the draw, I don’t know.  But I was one of only three team members that didn’t have any health or digestive issues the entire ten days.  Luck?  Well maybe.  But I know that my health was a major part of my wife’s prayers for me. It always seems that I’m “luckier” when prayer is involved.


Dr. Aneel, our eye doctor.  Because of language barriers he
doesn't talk much, but when he does it counts....big time!

Matt, Larry, and I had been talking about a few things we would like to accomplish when we get home.  In my “luck of the draw” bible readings (the ones where I just open to a random passage to see what God has for me that day), I came upon a passage in scripture that I felt was really applicable to the situation.  I went across the hall to Matt’s room and read it to him.  Matt said, “That’s from II Timothy, Chapter 2.  I’ve been reading it because Aneel (our eye doctor) came to me this morning and said he felt God leading him to tell me to study the second chapter of II Timothy.”  Some would call it coincidence.  Others would call it freaky.  We call it a God Thing.


Charles, Larry, Mark and Carly take a break. 
My journey with Mark is remarkeable to me.
I'm always glad God knows his plans for me.

As I said, sometimes we don’t really notice God Sightings until years after they happen.  On our last full day in India I couldn’t help but look back at my history with Mark.  My relationship with Mark started about twenty years ago.  I was a confirmed agnostic and single at the time.  It was my habit in those days to go to Hoke’s for coffee and breakfast several times a week.  One morning Mark showed up by his lonesome and, knowing me only in passing from my job at the music store, asked if he could join me for breakfast.  That simple cup of coffee led to a friendship that has spanned two decades, his leading me to Christ, my membership in the Berean Church (now New Hope) and now, a mission trip to India.  It’s been awe inspiring for me to see God’s hand in what was, at the time, a seemingly chance meeting over a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment