Sunday, January 1, 2012

Some Updates

Nothing too philosophical or wordy today but I thought I would give you some updates on the progress the team is making.

Last week a few of us got a start on the shots needed to help keep us safe.  Hepatitus vaccinations take place over the course of a year or so and those will be ongoing.  I’ll be able to have the first two injections out of the way before the plane hits the ground.  Hopefully next week will see me traveling to North Platte to get a typhoid shot.  Then there is the issue of which malaria drug to take.  Two of them have side effects that include stomach problems, not a good thing if, like me, you have Crohn’s disease.  The other can cause psychosis and despite what my lovely wife might say, I don’t normally have those symptoms.  Anyone with experience on malaria drugs feel free to lend advice.

My visa came today and I was quite surprised to find they had awarded me a ten-year multi-entry visa.  The folks that handle these things told me that those types of visas are typically not handed out unless accompanied by business ties or relatives in the country.  I decided to ask for a ten-year because the cost is the same as a five-year and a five-year isn’t a whole lot more than a 90-day visa.  So, in for a dime, in for a dollar.

The most exciting news this week is that Matt and his daughter Carlie are going to go on the trip with us.  Matt is a great guy, a board member of my church, and has a real open spirit that is great to be around.  I haven’t spent any real time with Carlie, but it’s exciting to see a young teen willing to make the trip.  That brings our total team number to ten members, about the perfect size I’m told.

I’ve also received a few donations this last week or so and that leaves the remaining amount I need to raise at about $1,000.00.  It has been a humbling experience to ask for help but even more humbling to see who is willing to give and what they are willing to give.  My thanks to all of you who have given prayer and funds.  God is good.

There are a lot of other little details to be ironed out.  I’m on the hunt for a small bible that is a bit more suitable to our travels.  I need to find a few more clothes that are compatible with the climate.  I’m told that my boots that I love so much aren’t suitable for the climate and conditions, so I need to track down some that are.  Seemingly small details, but its India: I can’t just go down to the mall and pick some things up while I’m there.  This is particularly true considering I’m 6’4” and 185lbs. in a country populated by a rather diminutive race.

All in all, things have come together much more smoothly than I anticipated.  It’s hard to believe that the trip is just 30 days away.

2 comments:

  1. Ten years eh? Maybe God is opening the door for future excursions.
    You might contact Richard Crocker about the malaria meds...he's had several people in his church go, maybe someone has had a similar experience.
    I have a small Bible you can use if you don't mind ESV. It is pink...but it might be harder to lose. Let me know if you want it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kris. I've actually been digging the ESV of late. It seems to keep a lot of the literal translation qualities of my old fav the NASB, but also some of the poetic quality of the KJV. I found one online and took the ISBN to Hoke's Bookstore and had him order it. A good use for those gift certificates I got for Christmas. Now all I have to worry about is if my bifocals are good enough to see 6.5 pica typeface!!

    ReplyDelete